Thursday, November 23, 2006

THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR

Bing, and even a little bit of Elvis were guests in our house when it came to holiday (can I say that?) music. Those were singles though, when it came to long players there was only one that I recall. That would be this Andy Williams album from 1963, sporting the moral majority approved title “Christmas Album.” His music was a favorite in our house and his television show was only missed if the power lines had been sabotaged by errant branches or a luckless squirrel.

What’s not to like? He was young, handsome, gentle voiced, good teeth, smiled when he had his picture taken (“wider than a mile“ no doubt), had manners and loved by my mother and her friends who discussed such things. Bing, was a bit too old for them even though he was their age. Elvis, they liked to look at, but he had too much hair. Frank and Dean drank too much and “ran around.“ (Incase I forgot to mention, celebrities were expected to follow the rules of the house also) Oddly enough, I swear we had every Nat Cole album except his Christmas one. Andy was non threatening and more likely to help them with groceries and bring in more firewood without being told.

In 1963 at the tender age of seven it was a real treat to have the handful of Christmas songs that I knew all on one album. The fact that they were all by the same artist was beside the point. I knew what my school choir was capable of with this music and they were no Andy Williams. He could sing, we couldn’t even face the same way. The reality that so many other artists also recorded this type of music was totally lost on me. Everything was at that age.

He’s recorded many other holiday albums over the years, but they don’t deliver the spirit of those early Christmas’s like this one. I have the CD of it somewhere, but I mostly rely on radio around the holidays to find the songs for me. Hearing one from that album out of the blue while running an errand or on the way home is enough to make the lines at the mall seem shorter. If I’m passing a Christmas tree lot at the same time it can transform the whole day. If I’m drinking when I hear it (not while driving of course) then I’m seven again and the Zenith console in the living room by the tree is spreading good cheer once again.

I’ve had a love affair with Christmas music ever since I was aware of it, no doubt this album played a pivotal role. Red Rider BB guns come and go, but music endures and rolls back the time like almost nothing else.

Andy turns seventy-eight this December. I hope all of his days have been merry and bright.

No comments: