Friday, September 22, 2006

RAMBLIN' BOY

I’m not sure whether a song can truly change the world or not. As noble as that sounds it‘s just too much of a stretch for me. A song can however change an entire day when heard at the appropriate time. Yesterday morning it was raining and I was running behind. When I tapped the on button of my car radio just such a thing happened. The first song I heard was Tom Paxton’s “I Can’t Help But Wonder Where I’m Bound.” He’s written a lot of memorable songs in a long career, but the melancholy of that one fit the morning like few others could have. (Several Leonard Cohen songs are capable of the same magic)

That song along, with “Ramblin’ Boy” and “The Last Thing On My Mind” form a triumvirate of songs that you’d swear were handed down mountain ballads from before there were even trains. No one could have possibly taken a guitar and a sheet of paper to the park and come home with one of them. The timeless quality of those songs never ceases to amaze me when I hear one of them. All are available by him and countless others. Seeking out any version of these songs will at the very least change your day.

“May all your ramblin’ bring you joy…”

1 comment:

Happy In Bag said...

It's so true, Corky. Every time I hear one of these songs covered, I check the liner notes even though I already know what I'm going to find. No disrespect to TP, but it's hard to believe that he came up with these songs.